Providing customers assistance options when they need it mostMarch 19, 2020
ComEd knows many of its customers are facing hardships and financial challenges as a result of COVID-19.
To support customers at this critical time, ComEd is taking the following actions:
- Suspending service disconnections for customers who cannot pay and waiving new late payment charges through at least May 1, 2020.
- Working with customers on a case-by-case basis to find the best payment arrangement. There are several programs ComEd offers to help customers through temporary or extended financial hardship, including flexible payment options and financial assistance programs:
- ComEd offers payment options such as budget billing, which averages payments out over a 12-month period to help customers manage their monthly energy bill, and flexible payment arrangements, including individually tailored payment installment plans.
Financial Assistance Programs
- Under the Residential Special Hardship program, customers who face financial hardship such as job loss, illness or military deployment, or senior or disability hardships, may be eligible for grants based on need.
- The CHAMP (ComEd Helps Activated/Veteran Military Personnel) program enables activated and deployed members of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard and Reserves, and honorably discharged veterans to apply for grants of up to $1,000 once every two years, deferred payment plans, cancellation of late charges and other benefits.
- Under the Nonprofit Special Hardship program, nonprofit organizations that struggle to pay their electric bills may be eligible for grants of up to $2,000 once every two years to help them cover their expenses and continue to fulfill their missions and serve the community.
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) enables low-income households to apply for assistance paying for winter energy services. Administered by community agencies throughout the areas ComEd serves, LIHEAP is funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the state of Illinois.
Customers who experience a financial hardship should visit ComEd.com/CARE or call ComEd’s Customer Care team from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 800-334-7661.